Thursday, June 11, 2009

What's the worst that could happen?

Kelsey left Tuesday morning to go home for a couple days so I have been alone on the sailboat during this time. Let me say that its not as fun by yourself. Explanation.

One night I climb into bed after the journey to the bathroom, about 100 feet away up the dock. It's like camping. Well, anyways, I close up shop - meaning I put the puzzle pieces that are our door together and close the hatch. I'm snug, I'm safe, and so, as I said, I climb into bed.

Laying there I realize the boat is shaking. Now it's not the gentle rocking back and forth of the tide, no. It is a 8.0 earthquake in my mind, so that something is dreadfully wrong. Suddenly I can almost see the 5 story apartment buildings to my right crumble to the ground, thereby falling into the harbor and causing a tidal wave that engulfs my little boat. Of course, the hatch is closed, the puzzle door secure, so I drown inside my home that I can't escape from. 

Okay, okay. So there was no earthquake and the apartment buildings are still standing and I am still alive. But I'm still lying there and can still feel the shaking. So I sit up and look around me. There's an orange light on our control panel flashing. As we have no engine and the battery is dead this light is rather alarming. It's not flashing regularly, but erratically and suspiciously. The shaking of the boat gets worse and I know there's a gasoline leak of some kind that gets ignited by an electric current running from the dock to the boat and I am engulfed in an explosion so big that it can be seen by people in downtown LA.

When this doesn't happen I get up to check out the light and decide to switch it off. The fridge stops working. It's our electricity coming from the dock plug. No battery or engine needed for it. I climb back into bed only to realize that it is neither the boat nor the ground that is shaking, but me. 

So, I survived the night. Barely. My imagination often gets the better of me. I'm a worst case scenario thinker. You'd think after 22 years of dealing with this I would be able to write off the stories as pure fiction in my head. I cannot. 

Well, that's it for scary stories with Mindy. Tune in next time. That is, if I don't get kidnapped by the nice-looking elderly couple out for a stroll on the boardwalk - I'm sure my imagination could make it happen.

1 comment: