Thursday, February 5, 2009

Life Burrito

I've made mine with music
Some of it in time
Then added a little vocab
to make it sweet with rhyme.
I'm adding daily to-do lists
with plans I'm trying to make
And sometimes there's lonely
but always a lot of faith
There's writing and coffee
and covert-op schemes
I've filled it with interesting
friendships and dreams
I'll admit that inside there's fear
and, more often than not, doubt
Every time I make it
I can't seem to leave these out.

What's in your Life burrito
what is it your eatin'?
What would you leave out,
what flavors are you needin'?
Who needs lettuce and tomato
and your choice of three meats?
You put what you like in your Life burrito
And once it's filled up, you eat.

This was inspired after talking with a friend about what was going on in my life. I told him a list of things and then said - "Yep, all of that is rolled up in my Life burrito. It's what I'm eating right now." That spurred a discussion as to whether someone else could eat my life burrito... and of course I told him that my burrito had a special force field around it. Maybe I'll add that verse.

Now this burrito of mine, 
life-stuffed, if you will
Is mine for the eatin'
not for any old Bill*.
There's no getting around
the laser force field
It's guarded and protected
Not just anyone's meal.
Only I, of course,
can turn off this device
and usually to add
some new-fangled spice.
Like big rings on my fingers
or red hair on my head
I wish one of these days
I could add a job instead.

Well that's the story
of this burrito of mine
Now go make yours
Though you don't have to rhyme.

*The name of my friend has been changed for privacy reasons and because it didn't rhyme.

3 comments:

Emily said...

That's my favorite yet! I love it. Oh and I can count to three and four so hopefully I won't lose any children...it's those big numbers that throw me.

that's dance said...

seriously? I laughed out loud.

greg said...

without a doubt the best burrito metaphor i've heard today!

love it.