Monday, February 23, 2009

The Island

This one might be a stretch, but, after repainting it several times my roommate exclaimed that it looked like a submerged island. I still don't know if I see it, but I liked the idea of every other picture I'd tried being buried under layers of paint. So, I wrote a poem about it, to make it make sense.
















Her island covers all her dreams
Lying there half-sunk in seas
Sandy shores with white-capped waves
Nothing in sight for days and days.

Yet deep below there lies a girl
The reddest hair in all the world
Pale-white face with a stubborn jaw
Deep blue eyes I couldn't draw.

Then a pink flamingo underneath
The islands' waters now they keep
It's life, it's flight, it's painted wings
All kept still by painted seas.

Beyond that an abstract thought
The orange, the purple lines they fought
An idea of chaos somehow designed
by an intricacy of my mind.

And at the bottom lies four trees
Gnarled branches bereft of leaves
The piano stands upon the grass
Soul-bared melody unmasked.

Upon all these my island sits
With nothing left but what it is
A wispy shore, sinking deep
With all my dreams drowned beneath.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Okay, that's hilarious. I love it! Didn't like the art till I read the poem, now I like them both!