Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A Story

Here's the beginning, I haven't posted the whole thing, as, for a short story, it's long. It was written based on the picture below.


























Girl: (explaining to the camera) I packed my hatbox with my clothes, because, one, I have no hat, and two, I have no other luggage. (looking down at birdcage) Him? Thing is, I wasn't about to stay in that house a second longer, but before hitting the road I grabbed Cheeky. I couldn't just leave him there. I guess I make a pretty sight. When I said hitting the road, just then, I meant good old fashioned "my heels on the pebbled shoulder" walking with the power lines. Not many cars right now, I like that, don't you? Gives me time to think. Sure cars shouldn't usually mess that up, but right now, in this moment, I don't think I could handle a '92 Buick going 50 mph whipping my skirt around my head. Yes, I left the house, skirt, heels, and all.(laughs) I'm leaving home for good this time. Not that it was for bad any other time - you know, I've never understood that phrase "for good." I mean, if you take it literally, than you would think I was setting out to do something spectacular in this world. I'm going to go cure cancer, or open an orphanage, or something like that. No, I guess I'm leaving home for bad this time. Well, actually I don't know if I would go so far as to say that either. I'm leaving home for neutral - I'm freakin' Switzerland walking down this road. 


(car drives by - ironically, a '92 Buick, her skirt flies up)


Well, so much for that.


I guess you're wondering why I am leaving, for good, for bad, or whatever. Well, to tell you the truth, if you had to wear these sunglasses for my reasons, and still didn't get why I was leaving "home," then you should probably stop listening to my story right about now. We probably won't agree on much, you and me.


(sitting on the hatbox on the ground, a couple hours have passed)


No, I haven't given up. Is Switzerland still a country?(car pulls to a stop behind her, guy gets out)


Guy: You need a ride somewhere, miss?


Girl: (hasn't gotten up yet, still facing camera) Guess I won't have to though. (to Guy) If you don't mind birds then I'm going where you're going.


(Opens door throws hatbox in the back, sits down with cage in lap)


Girl: Where are you going, by the way?


Guy: Heading north a ways, up towards the border. Where are you heading?


Girl: Um, a little farther than that... more west too. Just drop me at the end of your line and I'll pick up another from there. 


Guy: What's taking you out a little farther and more west?


Girl: My grandma. And some big kid stole my bus money.


Guy: (pause) Well, that's really nice of you, she sick or something?


Girl: (long pause) Actually, I don't have a grandma. That was the first thing that popped into my head. I just don't know you, and, though you're giving me a ride, I'm pretty sure when you drop me off you still won't know enough about me to really care where the hell I'm going. So, as I see it, I'll call you guy, you can call me girl, and we'll both go our ways feeling better about ourselves. You for helping out a total stranger and earning brownie points with God, you know, that whole "when I was hungry, you fed me", and Me, well I'll be a little closer to where I want to be which is as far away from here as possible. (sarcastic celebration) Yah! We both win.


(Silence)


Guy: Hey Girl?


Girl: (slight laugh) Yeah, Guy?


Guy: What's with the bird?


Girl: (sigh) Since you seem so intent upon asking questions you won't mind if I lie do you?


Guy: Not if you make it interesting.


Girl: (looks at him in surprise) Didn't expect that. Here's the truth then. Before she died, because I did have one once, my grandma gave him to me. And I did visit her when she was sick.


Guy: No kidding. Well, there goes the sarcasm.


(silence)


Girl: Hey Guy?


Guy: Yeah Girl?


Girl: Put your seatbelt on. I'd hate for you to go breaking through the windshield if we get in an accident and ruin my get-away car. 


Guy: (as he's grabbing for his seatbelt) And it's back.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Love it, I want to act it out sometime...it looks like fun.
You are quite talented my dear, quite.