Sunday, October 12, 2008

This I Believe

I'm taking an American Literature class this semester and Dr. Van Zandt is one of those teachers that motivates you to really do your best. She has actually been added to my list of teachers that encourage my love for writing and literature. This week we have a project entitled "This I Believe". We can choose any form of project - paper, picture, song, dance - to present something we truly believe in. One of hers is joy, she believes in doing the things that bring her joy. For instance, her job. She loves teaching and talking about books and interacting with her students.

I have a lot of things I believe in. I, also, believe in joy. I don't think I could ever do something with my life that I don't get joy from and bring joy to others. That's why I love writing, it's not just for me. Here's a few more.

I believe in life. I believe that every child has the right to it.
I believe in laughter. It heals where nothing else can.
I believe in quilts. They are very comforting.
I believe in rain. That sometimes we just need to go out and stand in it.
I believe in smiling. You can make anyone's day better by just smiling at them.

There are a lot of things I believe in. It's funny too. There are so many things that we think we need, or can't live without. But what really brings us joy and hope are those things that we can't buy. I know this seems like an old concept and, of course, it's not the first time I've realized it, but there are moments where it really hits me. Like when looking at my Happy List (which, by the way, I will update soon). The majority of things on there are those simple things that most of us take for granted. Myself included. I love getting caught off guard by this realization. I believe in those moments where I truly am content. Like now. Papers, graduation concerns, relationships - all of it matters, of course, but stressing out about it won't make it better... or easier.

I believe in trust. That it is inseparably linked to hope and patience.

I believe in stream of consciousness, which this blog definitely possesses.

Where my thoughts go, there I write
to speak those words that have taken flight.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i love this. i love the idea of this and love everything you said about what you believe.