Friday, October 3, 2008

Firefly Memories

Out to the field you and I went walking one night
it was cold yet we both wore coats
There weren't any stars but somehow it seemed right
and neither of us spoke.

As we came to its edge we kneeled in the grass
the dampness seeping through our jeans
but we didn't care as our gaze was held fast
to the firefly memories.

You point out the first one, its bright and fast
I watch my first love dart and play
it is brighter than the rest but doesn't last
and flits and flies away.

I spot the next and its flying steady
our friendship through the years
I grab your hand and you let me
and you don't even mind the tears.

The next we both see together, two alike
side by side we watch them awhile
together they make the brightest light
the realization makes us smile.

Walking back from the field hand in hand
we wouldn't give up on our dreams
the ones that we've had the ones that still stand
as twirling firefly memories.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Perfectly beautiful. I love fireflies -- I think they belong in poetry. ;)