Friday, September 4, 2009

Ah-Yung-Ha-Se-Yo

... or Something Like That (Hello)

I'm in Korea. What?! I constantly have those moments of reflection where I laugh out loud. It's awesome. Besides the drag of having strep throat my first weekend here, I've really enjoyed getting to explore Seoul. But I will only tell of one such exploration, as it has been the best so far.


















Charissa has the most amazing neighborhood. Yes, she's been here way longer so she's established a grocer, a market.... well, a reputation actually. She's the only foreigner and, it goes without saying, everyone's friend. She's the neighborhood blonde. Ha! Well, they all know her and love her (who wouldn't?). So we picked up some pizza, a Korean pear, and packed up a box with this, a blanket, and candles. Oh yes, candles.
We proceed to Olympic Park which is a magical place where one can escape the concrete. It is very oppressive. We climbed up a several flights of wooden stairs and weaved our way through winding pathways of grass and trees, until we came to a hill that overlooked the city. Or part of it, for it is expansive. So fun!

Next, we hopped on her bike, me riding sidesaddle on the back platform over the tire, and rode down to her favorite place in the park - a gazebo-type structure, in the midst of cherry blossom trees. Of course they're not in bloom, but it was still a magical place! We ate ice cream with candles here. I'm telling you, candles add to the adventure tenfold! So here's just a preview to my year in Korea!!



No comments: