Sunday, November 9, 2008

Da da da dum da da dum...

What is that called?!?!

I think I might go crazy... literally. You know when you can't think of the word for something, or the movie that a quote is from... well this one is the bane of my existence.

What is it called when a singer sings "da da da dum da da" or "la li la li" or "do doot do doot doot do"... as in "Bubbly" by Colbie Callait, or in "Romeo" by the Kin (thought nobody would really know that one). Or Nemmy - in "Seize the Day" - "li de di de di, li de di de di da di..."

AHHHH!!! Please help.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I believe it's called "scatting."

Mindy said...

no... I thought that... but it's not what I'm thinking of. My friend mentioned it one day in reference to "Bubbly" and now I don't know what it is... but it's not scatting.

Emily said...

I think scatting actually refers to more spontaneous random noises (?) in a song...what you're talking about I don't think I've ever heard called anything but lyrics...

greg said...

actually scatting is imitating a musical instrument with your voice I believe. could the non-lexical vocables you refer to be doo-wop?