Monday, December 21, 2009

Ballad of an Almost Christmas

As it is finally the week of Christmas I want to take this time to say... it doesn't seem like Christmas at all. Don't get me wrong, I've had a great December - God has blessed me so much with friends and love. What I miss though, is family.

I miss my sisters. I miss our crazy Christmas skit tradition.
Every year, we would wake up our parents and tell them to come out to the living room in 5 min. Then we would get in our places. Guess which one I was:
1. a. Mary, b. Joseph, and c. a wiseman
2. a. Santa, b. his elf, and c. the reindeer
3. a. 1st present, b. 2nd present, c. 3rd present that had to wrap itself after wrapping 1st and 2nd.

If you guess c for all, you were right! Congratulations. You got a look into my childhood.

I miss my parents. I miss the perfect gifts they would give. Even last year when we didn't get home til Christmas night from being snowed out of Seattle, my mom had a book by J.M. Barrie and my dad had a book by George MacDonald. Perfect.

I miss the house. The Christmas village on top of the piano, the REAL Christmas tree (though I guess right now I'd take a fake one with all our ornaments). The different ornaments mom got us every year, so we have a collection all our own. The Christmas music playing constantly from the moment I got up til I layed my head down, throughout the month of December. Watching movies every night (Muppet Christmas Carol, White Christmas, The Santa Clause, Jingle All the Way, It's a Wonderful Life). A Christmas puzzle a day... at least it seemed like.

Of Decembers, I've had the best. But I miss Christmas.

2 comments:

Emily said...

"We three girls who came from our rooms, carrying gifts..."
Yeah, good times. Though you did get to be the top of our 'Christmas Tree' pyramid, I have pictures to prove it. I love you and hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Isaac and Taniel said...

I hope that you find a way to make your Christmas in Korea have a little bit of home. I miss you and want to wish you Merry Christmas!