Thursday, July 9, 2009

Los Angeles

Not sure what it is about the city - I don't go there that often, I hate traffic, and I value clean air - but every time I get a view similar to this one...



















... (granted, this angle is from up in the sky and that orange moon probably happens once every 5 years, but driving along the 10 at night, you get a similar "looking north across the city" view, anyways, to get to my point), I love this city.

I find myself smiling whenever I see it's skyline (I also do this for Seattle) and I'm not sure why that is. I like the idea of so many people being in my eyesight, living their lives - maybe dancing, maybe crying - but living. And I find myself astounded at the fact that I will never meet them or know anything about their lives.

It goes further than that though. I find myself thinking about the dichotomy of the city. There is such hope and despair wrapped up in this specific city. Some wanting their big break, others just looking for a little bit of help. I'm not saying these aren't elsewhere - they are, because they belong to life. But Los Angeles has such stark contrasts. While making me smile, I feel both of those in me. I feel happiness and sadness at the same time.

Maybe that's why I like viewing the city from my safe place on the 10. I'm outside of this. Not to say that I'm outside of life's hope and despair, but I have a hope that is greater than this earth, so in a way, I am. 

When I see this city, and I "see" all those lives before me... it makes me want to dance. And it makes me want to cry. But mostly, it makes me want to live.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Beautifully said. I've felt that feeling while flying over cities and looking down and seeing all those places where people are...sometimes it's overwhelming but it also makes you want to step outside yourself and live knowing that the world does not revolve around you.